Thoughts?

I'm not sure how I feel about the imagery, or the fact that the main character looks like one of the edgelord teenage heroes from garbage like Divergent or the new Star Wars films. Dune is excellent source material but of course anything can be ruined.

Its got a star studded cast, all the markers for success but I've been disappointed enough times to know that its going to be a mediocre film. 

I wish the industry wasn't so bad and I didnt think that, but it will be bad. 

10 hours ago, Abdel said:

Its got a star studded cast, all the markers for success but I've been disappointed enough times to know that its going to be a mediocre film. 

I wish the industry wasn't so bad and I didnt think that, but it will be bad. 

So it's not just me. Hollywood has been putting out shiny turds one after another...

Everything these days is so dystopian and apocalyptic. Has to be edgy with the protagonist brooding and staring out into the distance. It was fine for 2 years but jesus can we move on to something else?

19 hours ago, Abdel said:

Everything these days is so dystopian and apocalyptic. Has to be edgy with the protagonist brooding and staring out into the distance. It was fine for 2 years but jesus can we move on to something else?

I wasn't fine at any point, at least as far as I can tell. On the subject of dystopia, have you seen San Francisco? It's straight Blade Runner, the new one.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, EagleMan said:

Do I read Dune?

You haven't already? Then you better. There are also 3 excellent prequels by his son, House Artreides, House Harkonnen and House Corrino.

2 hours ago, EagleMan said:

Have you read The Idiot? I'm just starting it and given 600 pages I might not finish it so I'd like your thoughts just in case.

I quite enjoyed that. I quite like Dostoevski (The Brothers Karamazov excepted), unlike say Tolstoy, who is tiresome and in my opinion, badly over-hyped. There is a whole two generations of great Soviet novelists that are almost completely unknown in the US, so if you're looking for some good Russian literature, I suggest Sholokhov's The Quiet Don (it's gigantic, the translation is like 4 books instead of one) , Bulgakov's Master and Margarita, Ilf and Petrov Twelve Chairs, and The Golden Calf.